Konkreet Labs - Forum

Community Base
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OSC output issue and bad invert scaling sync on KP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:48 pm 

Dear dev,
Quote:
Thanks for the amazing tool you've created, as far as I know OSC/Midi ipad apps have not been revolutionned since your work, hope you'll get back to it ...
BTW you say you're busy, can you tell us with what? just curious !

1) So I got sync problem with OSC out from Max... I changed the port without success, it seems to create feedback ( i don't know much about protocoles osc syncin but the inertia of synced nodes was diminished and sometimes laggy),

2) When i change app, from Touch OSC to Konkreet, KP sends all control when getting back to its page, (which i don't want , so i gate the refreshing message before and use bank up msg to refresh cos unfortunately the page number message comes after the controls refresh followed by bank up).

3) i noticed a bug when inverting nodes parameters on controll panel, it sends the right OSC value, but it stays inverted when listening...
maybe i'm doing smth wrong...?

Thanks a lot for your replies

Post subject: Re: OSC output issue and bad invert scaling sync on KP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:22 pm 

Hi oust,

Thanks for your message and the kind words. Indeed, Marc & I are very busy with our newer projects at the moment.

Marc is at https://heartbeat-med.de

And I'm at http://basslet.de

Regarding the specific questions:

1. Feedback is often a problem with bidirectional communication. We designed Performer that as soon as you touch a node, it will go into sending mode and ignore incoming messages (otherwise it would be impossible to control). Sync problems often depend on how the two sides work together: if one side can be a "master" that helps. If both sides have a kind of inertia then everything can get very confused. Maybe share more details of your set-up and we can see what would be possible...

2. What's the exact problem? Can you just ignore the page/bank message at the other side? Unfortunately, sending out these messages is currently hard-coded in Performer.

3. Just so I understand: you invert the parameter in Performer and it sends out the inverted value correctly, but incoming OSC is still non-inverting? If so, I think that's a bug on our side! Did I understand correctly?

Regards from Berlin,

Gwydion

Post subject: Re: OSC output issue and bad invert scaling sync on KP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:51 am 

Dear Gwydion,
Thanks for your reply,
I'm surprise how cool but far your work can be from music control programmation, because your work with KP is really a hit! you are masters !
So,
I'm using a voltage card control to modulate PWM in order to manage speed of fire rotative sirens to play music with
I output 14bits midi from max to control it, so i got 16000 step of definition in my control input.
For that i need another app (Touch osc to with increment decrement possibilities) to fine tune and be more precise than KP or any fader can be.
Basically i run Touch Osc and KP in parallele modifying the same patch and i created kind of bridge to update the values from one controller to the other when changing.

1) My feedback problem with connecting KP osc input to output is that i loose the glide of the inertia, as you said once moving node, output is inactive to prevent feedback,
but using inertia makes the assigned node stops when droped whereas no- assigned nodes continue gliding
( i solved it creating a store function that output the value only when using the other soft)

2) if there was a message saying "update" when switching app i could block the following control send from kp, to import/update my osc values from the other soft, and sync nodes with what i ve done in touch osc.
now i'm obliged to prepare switching in touch osc ( blocking kposc input), then changing KP page to use bank up value message to reopen the gate

3) i tchecked again and when inverter parameter of lenght in KP, sending the osc value to KP needs to be inverted in max msp... which is surprising to me..;

thanks for your advices!