Performer completely changed the way we can manipulate music. It allows me to freely create sound design elements, but most importantly, perform musical ideas that can’t be done any other way.
Sascha Dikiciyan, Composer “Tron: Evolution”
KONKREET PERFORMER is a music control and performance instrument that was designed to use multi-touch technology to the full. Instead of traditional faders and knobs, use multi-touch and gestures to manipulate PERFORMER’s beautiful shapes to dynamically control your computer’s software instruments in real-time.
THE PERFORMANCE SCREEN
- Move the whole object by dragging the central master node
- Move individual nodes by dragging them
- Rotate the object using a two-finger rotation gesture on any free space on the screen
- Grow/shrink the object using a two-finger pinch gesture on any free space on the screen
- Throw the object by dragging the object centre rapidly and letting go (Throwing action is enabled using the Trigger Hold settings in the Preferences Screen)
- Every change to the object will send out MIDI/OSC messages
- A snapshot stores the object’s current shape and position
- To save a snapshot, tap the red button in the top left corner and then choose any of the 8 snapshot slots
- To retrieve the snapshot, simply tap the respective snapshot button and the object will morph to the saved position and shape
- To erase a snapshot, first throw the object so that it disappears, then save this “invisible” object in the snapshot slot to be erased. (Throwing action is enabled using the Trigger Hold settings in the Preferences Screen.)
- To erase all 8 snapshots, use the button in the Preferences Screen.
- There are 8 independent banks for different MIDI/OSC settings, behaviour and visual preferences
- Each bank has its own set of 8 snapshots
- Left/right bank buttons move to the previous/next bank
- Changing bank also sends an OSC message (see XXXXX)
THE MAPPING SCREEN
- Bank Label – each bank can be given a custom name
- MIDI/OSC mode selector for current bank. When in MIDI mode, the MIDI channel for this bank can also be set.
Just touch the element (master, node, ribbon) you want to edit.
Each row shows (from left to right):
- Enable/Disable button for sending this message
- The event name
- For OSC: the address pattern
- For MIDI: the MIDI message type & MIDI message value
- Range button – to adjust or invert the parameter range
- Single-shot button – to send a single-shot message (useful when MIDI learning with other software)
- Each node can also be given a custom label.
- Indicator bar shows current value
- Drag Min and Max bars to adjust range
- Range is 0.0 to 1.0 for OSC, 0 to 127 for MIDI
- Double-tap range area to invert it
- The range button icon will glow bright white whenever the range is not at default
MIDI Communication Status
- Shows the status of all outgoing connections from PERFORMER to other MIDI apps and devices.
- No configuration is needed for MIDI; PERFORMER will automatically connect to any available MIDI inputs
OSC Communication Settings
- OSC Output: for controlling OSC-compatible software like Native Instruments Reaktor. For configuration, see XXXXX.
- OSC Input: optionally updating PERFORMER’s visuals as you adjust parameters on your computer. More details.
Visual and Behaviour Settings
- Select which bank to configure using the large bank buttons.
- The thinner Active buttons allow you to change the currently displayed bank in the Performance Screen without leaving the Preferences Screen.
- Inertia: Variable setting for smooth morphing transitions when moving the object. Slowest setting is 100, fastest setting is zero (corresponding to no inertia).
- Control Inertia via Ribbon: maps the inertia slider to performance screen ribbon for real-time changes during performance.
- Jump: Object position jumps to touch anywhere on screen.
- Jump Retrigger: When jump mode is enabled, it can send a master touch message if desired.
- Trigger Hold: Sets latch vs momentary action. If enabled, a touch on the central master node latches the output message to 1, to send a zero, “throw” the master. If disabled, a touch on the master only sends out 1 as long as it is being touched.
- Snapshot Retrigger: When pressing a snapshot it can send a master touch message if desired.
- Nodes: number of nodes can be configured per bank.
- Ribbon: show/hide multi-touch ribbon controller at the lower edge of the Performance Screen.
- Labels: show the node labels
- Touch Areas: show the node and master touch recognition areas
- Visualisation options: select up to 3 different simultaneous visuals. If the maximum of three visuals are selected, changing visuals requires deselecting one of the currently selected ones first.
- Clear all snapshots: double-click to erase all of the snapshots in this bank
- Copy settings: copies all Behaviour and Visual preferences from this bank to any other bank